I got out my camera to photograph this phenomen
on (others would probably prefer to photograph the Emerald Buddha or something like that), and just as I did the motorcycle taxi driver pulled in minus his passenger. He is the guy in the orange vest just getting off his bike in this picture. In the new, incorruptible police force I had been told about, he would get his ticket and have his day in court. But that is not what happened.Just before the “arresting” officer came out of the bo
x to handle the situation, the taxi driver noticed me up on the flyover with my camera pointing at the scene. His look of disappointment was very clear, even from so far away. When the officer came out, he too looked up at the foreigner with the camera and pulled the taxi driver around behind the box and out of sight. Less than a minute later, the taxi driver walked out to his motorbike, sans ticket. I’m, uh, sure he just got a stern lecture and, uh, no money changed hands.Because, as my old driver friend told me, corruption is gone. It has moved from plain view.
No comments:
Post a Comment