Resting tired legs again in Bangkok just a few hours before my departure.
One of the things I had hoped to accomplish on this trip was to meet up with a classmate from grad school. Four of us hung out together a lot in those days. One is now a professional poker player in Oakland, one is a Professor in PA, and the other has been teaching English at one of the most prominent universities in Bangkok since graduation. She met Michele shortly after she was born and was most curious about what has become of that tiny baby.
When we spoke on the phone the other night I told her how surprised I was that I couldn't find masman curry anywhere. She laughed and suggested I go to this amazing food court in the big shopping center across the street from my hotel. It turned out that there is no masman there, but a great place to eat all kinds of Thai/Chinese/Indian/Japanese food. Kristin would go nuts!
When Aoy, my classmate, picked me up for lunch today, she no sooner said hello than she handed me a small bag. In the bag was a packet of masman curry and a can of ready-to-eat curry chicken. We both laughed and I was amazed I hadn't thought of the super-market route myself.
She took me to a very nice, out-of-the-way place called "Crepes," owned by a Swiss-Hungarian. The only thing Thai about the restaurant was its address. Guess what was on the menu.
Crepes masman.
Sunday, July 24, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment